Friday, March 23, 2007

A great day of mothering

I have a wonderful boss and he has let me work just four days a week since I started the third trimester of my pregnancy. I usually take my day off on Friday, but this week, I was off on Tuesday as Mom was out of town and Louise was not feeling well. FINALLY, I had a day that turned out to be what I thought motherhood would be. Don't get me wrong, I've had good days before now, but Tuesday was my first day off with Preston that was just perfect....well close....

He woke up at 5:20. That's not so perfect. But he slept through the night and I guess beggers can't be choosers. We played and watched Sesame Street and I actually got to take a shower while he was engrossed in the tv. I turned off the water expecting to hear crying, but he surprised me. We met my friend, Brandy, and her little girl, Claire, for breakfast. Trust me, there were days I never thought I'd be able to sit through a meal out with Preston if Ivan or Mom were not there to help me.

Anyway, breakfast went well. It was the first time Brandy and I had dined with kids, so we didn't get to chat like we normally do, but it was still nice. The weather was great, so Preston and I walked across the street to Bowles to visit with Shelia and then headed to see my grandmother as she had not gotten to see him in awhile.

I had to go to the grocery store too and he fell asleep between Grandma's and the grocery. He miraculously stayed asleep from the car to the grocery and then through the car ride back to the house. He woke up as soon as we got home and we had more play time. Then, he started getting sleepy around three and I took him with me to my bedroom praying that he would sleep for more than 30 minutes so I could get a nap too. He slept for two hours! Now, I'm not a co-sleeper except for the occasional nap. I'm just too light of a sleeper for it. I didn't sleep for the whole two hours that Preston did, but I slept off and on. And it was nice that even when he did wake me with his wiggling and noises...I love to just know he's there and see how beautiful he is.

Finally......a motherhood day as I thought they would all be...8.5 months into Preston's life.....boy, was I dumb!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.